2011 Energy Capital Conference
See below for the 2011 conference agenda. To download a presentation, click the speaker's name and enter the username and password you received via email following the event. Your log-in credentials are only applicable to this conference and may only be used by registered attendees.
June 2, 2011
Opening Keynote: Black Gold Rush - Prospects for New 'Old' U.S. Oil Plays
Learn where the application of unconventional-play technology — horizontal wellbores and multi-stage fracing — could create new "old" oil-producing basins, such as the revival under way in acreage over Mississippi Lime in northern Oklahoma and southern Kansas, and what seems promising from Wolfberry in the Permian and St. Louis Lime in the Texas Panhandle. How much of what's old may become new again?
- Rehan Rashid, Managing Director and Head, Energy and Natural Resources Research, FBR Capital Markets
Roundtable Discussion: Economics at the Wheel: Dynamics Affecting Energy Companies’ P&Ls
$100 oil. Pervasive political and social tension in the Middle East. Continued growth in shale-gas production in the U.S. and new deployment of this unconventional technology abroad. Burgeoning new oil-shale plays. Bakken on target to make 1 million barrels a day by 2013. Gulf of Mexico production declining in the wake of drilling suspensions. Continued calls for more global natural gas supply as LNG in light of nuclear-power concerns in the Pacific. Europe’s further efforts toward gas-supply independence from Russia’s Gazprom. Where is all this headed?
- Arthur L. Smith, President and Founder, Triple Double Advisors LLC; formerly, Chairman and CEO, John S. Herold Inc.
- Dr. Nansen G. Saleri, President & CEO, Quantum Reservoir Impact LLC; formerly, Head, Reservoir Management, Saudi Aramco - Presentation not available
- Andrew Lipow, Founder and President, Lipow Oil Associates LLC - Presentation not available
Capital Spotlight: Winning and Deploying Bill Gates’ Money
NEOS GeoSolutions’ executive chairman describes the company’s business model and capitalization, particularly how it accessed private capital from Bill Gates, in addition to funding from Energy Capital Group, Goldman Sachs, Passport Capital and Silicon Valley’s Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
- Silicon Valley Meets the Oil Patch-Funding a New Era of Natural Resources Exploration
W. Michael Long, Executive Chairman, NEOS GeoSolutions, and Special Advisor, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
Roundtable Discussion: Money’s View of Energy Today
Capital providers and their partners have a distinct view when deciding on whether to jump into any deal. Some say unconventional plays destroy capital or are overheated, and a conventional strategy makes more sense. Many will fund only North America-focused stories, while others have a global mandate. These leading investors and advisors weigh in during this candid conversation.
- Private Equity
Robert Zorich, Managing Director, EnCap Investments LP - Presentation not available
Rahul Culas, Principal, The Carlyle Group - Presentation not available
- Investment Banking
Frank Murphy, Managing Director Co-Head of Energy Group, Robert W. Baird & Co. Inc. - Presentation not available
Lisa Ferraro, Managing Director, TIAA-CREF - Presentation not available
Mark Warner, Natural Resources Investments, The University of Texas Investment Management Company (UTIMCO) - Presentation not available
- Private Equity
Geoff Solich, Co-Founder and Managing Director, SFC Energy Partners - Presentation not available
Oil and Gas Investor Excellence Awards Presentation
- Best Discovery of the Year: Noble Energy Inc. – receiving the award: Senior Vice President, Exploration, Susan Cunningham
- Best Financing of the Year: Energy Corporation of America – receiving the award: CEO John Mork, and Raymond James, Managing Director, Howard House
- M&A Deal of the Year: Chesapeake Energy Corporation and its new partner CNOOC – receiving the award: CEO, Chairman and co-founder, Aubrey McClendon
- Turnaround of the Year: Chaparral Energy Inc. – receiving the award: President and CEO Mark Fischer
- Best Corporate Citizen: Pioneer Natural Resources Corporation – receiving the award: Vice President, Tom Sheffield
- Best Field Rejuvenation: Concho Resources Inc. – receiving the award: Senior Vice President, Jack Harper
- Best IR: Linn Energy LP – receiving the award: VP of Investor Relations, Clay Jeansonne
Oil and Gas Investor's 2010 Executive of the Year’s Remarks
- Edward E. Cohen, President and CEO of Atlas Energy LP
Roundtable Discussion: Growth by Drillbit or Checkbook?
Unconventional plays are coming onto the market as they have proven their long-life, producing profile. But, Is it better to pursue rapid-growth unconventional resources, or grow by drilling conventional acquisitions? These executives look at how smart companies boost performance by improving decision-making. How does a small or private company take advantage of the new world, when big companies and big shale plays mop up most of the capital, services and investor attention?
- Mike Linn, Executive Chairman, LINN Energy LLC - Presentation not available
- Bob Reeves, President and CEO, Athlon Energy LP; formerly, Chief Financial Officer,Encore Acquisition Co. and Encore Energy Partners - Presentation not available
- Mark Fischer, co-founder, chairman, president and CEO, Chaparral Energy Inc. - Presentation not available
Christopher Wright, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Liberty Resources LLC; Founder, Pinnacle Technologies Inc.
Capital Spotlight: Rolling Out the Royalty Trust to Raise Drilling Capital—How ECA and SandRidge Did It
Raymond James has led two successful deals recently of the royalty-trust model for producers seeking to raise drilling capital—and in a hot market for distribution-paying equity. Here, discover how Energy Corporation of America and SandRidge Energy Inc. have raised more than $500 million, combined, in IPOs of Marcellus and Mississippian Lime acreage, respectively, to fund further drilling—and how you can too.
- Howard House, Managing Director, Investment Banking, and Co-Head, Energy Group, Raymond James & Associates Inc.
Roundtable Discussion: The Game Changers—Contrarian Today; On the Money Tomorrow
Many E&P companies are shifting the bulk of their capex to oily plays from natural gas. In the long-term, what does this imply for producers, their investors and global markets? Capital may be plentiful, but how do energy companies deploy it to create the most value? Here is a lively roundtable discussion on the issues that will impact your thinking—and your bottom line—in 2011 and beyond.
- Henry Groppe, Principal, Groppe Long & Littell - Presentation not available
- Thomas J. Edelman, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, White Deer Energy LP; formerly, Founder and Co-Founder of Snyder Oil Corp., Range Resources Corp. and Patina Oil & Gas - Presentation not available.
- Mark Gyetvay, Chief Financial Officer and Director,OAO Novatek
State of the US economy, 2012 election outlook and the effect the abundance of US natural gas production and rising oil prices will have on the election and the economy.
- Ben Stein, Economist, Writer, Actor, Humorist