2013 Energy Capital Conference
2013 Energy Capital Conference Show Report
See below for the 2013 conference agenda. To download a presentation, click the speaker's name and enter the username and password you received via email following the event. Your log-in credentials are only applicable to this conference and may only be used by registered attendees.
June 17, 2013
Opening Keynote: The Private-Equity Partner's Role in a Successful E&P
A private-equity provider is a source not only of capital. It is an entire team of partners ready to provide support in sourcing bank debt, hedging counterparties, start-up and bolt-on assets, and top-talent personnel. Learn hear how Denham Capital Management LP helps its portfolio companies realize their business-plan goal: investment-value creation.
- Ken Friedman, Director, Denham Capital Management LP – Presentation not released
Transitioning Out of the Corporate Machine
The large corporate environment can bring with it stability and the resources to cultivate a solid career path. However, for some, this is not enough. They are looking for an opportunity to thrive. Bright Horizon Resources' President and CEO, Dudley Viles, will recount his story of how he transitioned his corporate skills into the business he now owns.
- Dudley Viles, President and CEO, Bright Horizon Resources – Presentation not available
Crafting the Message to Finance the Start Up – of Any Size
The search for capital begins with a business plan. The "pitch" or the presentation must package the key elements of a given business plan into a clear and actionable story. Learn how John Donovan has helped multiple entrepreneurs craft a crisp and persuasive presentation to secure the funds needed to take their company to the next level.
- John Donovan Jr., Founder, Donovan Capital
Structuring the Deal and Avoiding the Common Pitfalls
While every structuring and negotiating process is unique, they all follow a similar path. Jordan Marye of Denham Capital will walk through what it takes to create a successful partnership and what to be mindful of in the process.
- Jordan Marye, Managing Director, Denham Capital
Building the Team and Setting Up Operations
A company is only as strong as its team. Company owners who have built a strong enterprise understand that collaboration and teamwork are the foundation of their success. Mike Oestmann will share how he founded Tall City Exploration and, more importantly, how he built the team that would guarantee him growth over the long term.
- Mike Oestmann, CEO, Tall City Exploration LLC
Making the Decision to Scale Up
You've laid the foundation, secured the funds, built the team and grown the business. The next step is to stay ahead of the curve, yet avoid overbuilding. Entrepreneur Matt Steele will share insight on he founded and established a series of companies, including Ursa Resources I and II.
- Matt Steele, President and CEO, Ursa Resources Group II LLC – Presentation not released
Tapping into Your Entrepreneurial Spirit
Deciding to become an entrepreneur is about much more than autonomy and freedom. Just ask serial entrepreneur John Wing. As the founder and investor of multiple companies, including Wing Aviation and the Boston Beer Company, John will focus on how to successfully harness your entrepreneurial spirit and what to expect when becoming a business owner.
- John Wing, Serial Entrepreneur – Presentation not available
June 18, 2013
Opening Keynote: Energy Trends and the U.S. Economy
- Stephen Moore, Economist and Editorial Board Member, The Wall Street Journal
What's on Your Mind?
Results and implications of the Grant Thornton/Oil and Gas Investor Survey of Energy Executives will be shared. These are the projections, estimates, issues and concerns of energy executives, in their own words.
- Brandon B. Cradeur, National Energy Transaction Advisory Services Leader, Grant Thornton LLP
- Brandon Sear, National Energy Practice Leader, Grant Thornton LLP
Roundtable Discussion: The Coming Consolidation
Now that the resource plays are maturing, what's next? Observers predict a wave of consolidation surging toward North American producers. Whether you are a buyer or seller, how will this affect your strategy?
- H. Craig Clark, former CEO, Forest Oil Corp.; President and CEO, Wishbone Energy Partners LLC – Presentation not available
- R. Danny Campbell, President, Henry Resources LLC – Presentation not available
- Sylvia Barnes, Managing Director and Head, Oil & Gas Corporate & Investment Banking, KeyBanc Capital Markets
Panel: Drilling Efficiency, Cost Reductions and How to Improve Margins
Producers' attention is now riveted on greater cost control. Hear findings from Tudor Pickering's Drilling Efficiency Index on what your peers are achieving, and from a company that models thousands of fracs annually on how to optimize exploration, drilling, completion and production.
- David A. Pursell, Managing Director, Head of Securities, Tudor, Pickering, Holt & Co. – Presentation not available
- Alan R. Huffman Ph.D., Chief Technology Officer, SIGMA3 Integrated Reservoir Solutions Inc.
- Mitch Kniffin, Vice President, Integrated Engineering Solutions, SIGMA3 Integrated Reservoir Solutions Inc. – Presentation not available
Oil and Gas Investor's 10th Annual Excellence Awards
Join this year's winners in this special, annual celebration.
- Executive of the Year - Mark E. Ellis, LINN Energy LLC
- Financing of the Year - LINN Energy
- A&D Deal of the Year - Denbury Resources Inc.
- Best Discovery - Cobalt International Energy, Inc.
- Best Field Rejuventation - Plano Petroleum LLC
- Best Performance of the Year - Bonanza Creek Energy Inc.
Keynote Address from Oil and Gas Investor's Executive of the Year
- Mark E. Ellis, LINN Energy LLC
Roundtable Discussion: Capital Access and New Financing Structures
Today's capital markets are friendly to oil and gas investments. But what are the best structures for optimum financing? What new twists are there in the financial world?
- Scott L. Joyce, Senior Vice President, Capital One Energy Banking – Presentation not available
- Douglas E. Swanson Jr., Partner, EnCap Investments LP – Presentation not available
- Brian N. Thomas, Managing Director, Oil & Gas, Prudential Capital Group – Presentation not available
Panel: Key Issue: Maximizing Revenue and Profit
Oil and gas production may be surging, yet producers face challenges as well. Hear how two executives juggle shareholder returns, the balance sheet, vendors, accessing infrastructure and other issues.
- Rick Louden, President and Director, Argent Energy Trust – Presentation not released
- Robert Watson Jr., CEO, EnerJex Resources Inc.
Roundtable: Key Issue – Succession Planning and Leadership Development
As seasoned E&P executives step aside, how do companies groom their new leaders or attract new ones? Which strategies worked in the past, and what are the pitfalls?
- Moderator: Eric Nielsen, Managing Director, Business Development, Quantum Energy Partners
- Stephen Beasley, Founder and CEO, Eaton Group Inc, Corporate Director, BPZ Resources, Inc. – Presentation not available
- Suzanne Nimocks, Corporate Director, EnCana Corp., ArcelorMittal, Rowan Co. and Owens Corning Corp. – Presentation not available
- Carin Barth, Corporate Director, Bill Barrett Corp. and Western Refining – Presentation not available
Roundtable: The Future Ain't What it Used to be
Executives today must deal with new issues at a much faster pace than ever before: the digital and social impacts of technology, community relations and workforce issues, to name a few. Our panelists from two generations discuss how these are affecting the boardroom of today and into the future.
- Steve Antry, Chairman and CEO, Eagle Energy of Oklahoma LLC – Presentation not available
- Eric Alfuth, CFO, Starboard Resources, Inc. – Presentation not available
- Michael R. Starzer, President and CEO, Bonanza Creek Energy Inc. – Presentation not available
- Tim Duncan, President and CEO, Talos Energy LLC – Presentation not available